My daughter received a mini doughnut maker (like a waffle iron) for a recent gift. Ugh…so I had to find a way to make it work! If you don’t have one, I’m sure a mini-muffin pan would be perfect! This recipe was a hit with both of my girls…my youngest is a little pickier, so I have to try really hard to hide any signs of coconut which can be challenging as a Paleo cook!
Chocolate-Dipped Doughnuts (paleo doughnuts)
- 5 large eggs
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- pinch of salt
- 3 Medjool dates, pitted and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup creamy almond butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee crystals
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 5-6 ounces dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup crushed walnuts (optional)
- Preheat donut maker until green light comes on (or until ready).
- In a mixing bowl, combine the first 10 ingredients until blended.
- Fill the bottom half of the doughnut maker until level. Lower top half and cook for approximately 3-4 minutes until firm and slightly browned. Let cool on a cooling rack. Continue to cook until batter is gone. It makes about 20 mini doughnuts.
- While the doughnuts are cooling, heat chocolate in a double boiler on low until melted.
- Dip the tops of the doughnuts in the chocolate. (OPTIONAL: Next, dip in the crushed walnuts or coconut flakes). Place back on the cooling rack. Repeat.