These are amazingly moist and delicious. I’ve swapped out traditional tomato sauce in these meatballs for salsa verde (you can make your own or use Trader Joe’s which has no preservatives or thickening agents). The onion (red onion is my preference, but use whatever you have on hand) also lends moisture. I use 85/15 beef as I find anything with less fat just becomes too dry.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup Salsa Verde, plus 3 tablespoons for your plate
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- sea salt and ground pepper, to taste
- Mix all ingredients (with your hands if you’re brave!)
- Form into golf ball sized balls.
- Place in greased baking pan. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.
- Drizzle some of the salsa verde on the plate before adding your meatballs.