These stuffed dates were inspired by a recent trip that my husband and I took to Jack Fry’s this past Valentine’s Day. They have an AMAZING appetizer that I’m still dreaming about. Their version adds goat cheese but I thought that I would “paleotize” it by removing the cheese. This is an incredibly easy, yet rich and luxurious treat. The combination of flavors ~ the sweetness of the dates, the spiciness of the sausage, the richness of the bacon and the smokiness in the tomato sauce ~ is an explosion of wonderful.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Slice each date lengthwise on one side. Remove and discard pits.
- Cook chorizo in a medium skillet over medium heat. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Cut bacon slices in half. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Stuff the dates with the sausage. Wrap bacon around each stuffed date. Place the dates, seam side down on parchment paper. Bake for 30 minutes or until bacon starts to crisp.
- In a mini food processor, pulse the chipotle(s) and marinara sauce. Blend. Transfer to a small pot and warm.
- Spoon the sauce onto a plate. Place dates on top of the sauce.