My husband and I went to Jack Fry’s this past Valentine’s Day. They have an AMAZING appetizer that I’m still dreaming about. Their version adds goat cheese but I thought that I would “paleotize” it by removing the cheese. This is an incredibly easy, yet rich and luxurious treat. The combination of flavors ~ the sweetness of the dates, the spiciness of the sausage, the richness of the bacon and the smokiness in the tomato sauce ~ is an explosion of wonderful.
- 6 oounces bulk chorizo pork sausage
- 10 Medjool dates
- 5 slices applewood smoked uncured bacon, nitrate-free
- 1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, strained
- 1/2 cup of homemade or your favorite marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Slice each date lengthwise on one side. Remove pits.
- Cook chorizo in a skillet over medium heat. Drain on a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Cut bacon slices in half. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Stuff the dates with the sausage. Wrap a 1/2 piece bacon around each stuffed date. Place the bacon seams down on the parchment paper. Cook for 30 minutes or until bacon starts to crisp.
- In a mini food processor, add the chipotle(s) and the marinara sauce. Blend. Transfer to a small pot and warm
- Spoon the sauce onto a plate. Place dates on top of the sauce.