I wish I had some inspirational moment for making this, but I really just thought that green soup would look good in this blue mug with the placemat underneath. Also, a lot of asparagus soups are served chilled, but I just can’t wrap my head around cold soup, so mine is served warm!
- 8 cups chopped asparagus
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 5 cups ofchicken or veggie broth
- 1/4 cup of organic heavy cream (optional)
- 4 tablespoons organic unsalted butter or ghee
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Prepare Asparagus. Chop off about 15 asparagus tips for garnish. Set aside. At the ends, find the natural soft spot and break off the tough ends. Discard. Cut the remaining asparagus in 1/2-inch sections.
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, melt butter with onion, garlic cloves, salt and pepper until onions are tender. Add asparagus stalks and broth. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Using an immersion blender, blend ingredients until smooth.
- While simmering, add asparagus tips and continue to simmer until tender.
- Whisk in optional cream, lemon juice and additional salt if necessary. Serve immediately.