Every Easter, my mom always bought me a bag of black licorice jelly beans. Last week, I was at Trader Joe’s and saw their new “organic maple sugar crystals”. In other posts, I have used raw honey as the meringue sweetener, but I thought I’d try my new find in these meringues. Meringues are such a simple dessert and my kids absolutely love trying all sorts of flavors and combinations.
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon arrowroot
- 1/4 teaspoon anise (licorice) extract
- 1/4 cup organic maple sugar crystals (or preferred sweetener)
- black food coloring paste (Wilton’s makes some), optional
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk egg whites, arrowroot, and anise extract in a metal mixing bowl until medium peaks form. Gradually add the sugar until you have stiff peaks. Fold in optional black food coloring until streaky.
- Spoon mixture into a piping bag (or a Ziploc with the end cut off) and pipe little mountains onto the cookie sheets.
- Bake for two hours. Let cool completely. Store in an air-tight container. Make sure they are completely cooled before placing them in the container, otherwise they will produce steam and “melt” the meringues.