These pickled ramps were inspired from my recent “Wild Ramp Hike” at Foxhollow Farm. Sherry Hurley (proprietress, Farm to Fork Catering) sent us home with her wonderful pickled ramp recipe so I “paleotized” it and then used spices I already had on-hand. Thank you Sherry for the inspiration!!
Served great as a garnish with steaks, salads or just for snacking!
- 1.5 pounds ramps, cleaned and leaves above pink stems removed
- 1 cup golden balsamic vinegar (choose one that is 2 grams or less of sugar)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup organic maple sugar crystals (or preferred sweetener)
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon Herbes de Provence (or Italian seasoning)
- 3 dashes Sriracha (or preferred hot sauce)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Prepare ramps. Green leaves removed just above pink stems. Clean ramp bulbs and chop off the roots.
- Blanch ramps for 30-40 seconds and then shock in ice water. Drain and place ramps in a Mason Jar.
- Combine vinegar, salt, maple crystals and water in a small pot and bring to a boil. Add remaining ingredients. Stir.
- Pour hot mixture over ramps and let cool. Seal tight and store in refrigerator for up to a month.