I have had a can of anchovies staring at me for 3 weeks now and finally decided to use them. They are now my new favorite ingredient in homemade salad dressings…I can’t believe that I was afraid of them before. Also, when I was picking out herbs at Whole Foods today, I saw these edible flowers, so I had to give them a try too!
- 6 ounces spring mix of greens
- 1/4 ounce edible flowers
- 1/4 carrot, grated
- 1/2 avocado, chopped
- 1/4 cucumber, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds, raw and unsalted
- 4 pearl tomatoes (or equivalent of preferred variety), chopped
- 1/4 Asian pear (or an apple), diced
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup high-quality olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons whole grain Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1/8 teaspoon Sriracha (or preferred hot sauce)
- 6 anchovy fillets
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- pinch of sea salt
- pinch of ground pepper
- Assemble salad ingredients in a serving bowl.
- Make the dressing (this may be done ahead of time and refrigerated). Finely chop the anchovy fillets until they are almost in a paste form. Scrape into a bowl and add remaining ingredients. Whisk together.
- Pour dressing over the salad and toss.