It’s Derby Week here in Louisville, so I made this to get in the spirit! Regular vanilla and a regular vanilla bean can be substituted in the recipe below.
- 13.5 ounce can of cream of coconut
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons of bourbon vanilla extract (or regular vanilla)
- 1 Madagascar bourbon vanilla bean, seeds removed and shell discarded (or a regular vanilla bean)
- 1/8 cup raw honey
- maple sugar crystals or coconut palm sugar crystals (for topping)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Whisk the first 5 ingredients together until smooth. Pour into 4 ramekins.
- Place ramekins in a baking dish and fill to the halfway point of the outside of the ramekins with boiling water.
- Bake 2 hours. Let cool for 30 minutes.
- Cover. Refrigerate overnight. They need this time to set.
- When ready to eat, sprinkle each creme with a thin layer of maple sugar crystals. Torch until the sugar is caramelized.