This has to be one of my favorite ice cream flavors of all time. Paleo ice cream is tasty, however, the coconut milk usually takes over with taste. A little extract seems to do the trick. When I was at Whole Foods, I saw a butter extract and “Butter Pecan” hit me. I’m sure you can make this recipe (minus the extract and add 1T butter); however, the small extract replacement is my go-to way to mask the coconut.
- 13.5 oz can of coconut milk
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon butter extract
- 2 tablespoons organic butter or ghee
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- Place coconut milk and honey in a medium saucepan over low heat. Whisk until blended. Add vanilla, butter extract and butter. Stir until butter is melted.
- Whisk two egg yolks in a separate bowl. Temper the yolks by adding a small ladle of hot mixture, stirring continuously so as to not “cook” the eggs. Add a second ladle to egg mixture. Once combined, pour this back into the saucepan and stir everything together. Refrigerate until completely cooled.
- Follow the directions on your electric ice-cream mixture as each one may be a little different. I put the freezing cavity in the freezer overnight and the ice-cream mixture in the refrigerator overnight and then blend in the morning for about 20 minutes.
- Add chopped nuts. Continue to blend for 10 minutes. Freeze for at least 4 hours.