So, one of the most requested recipes is Sheppard’s Pie…after much reading, I have learned that Sheppard’s Pie involves ground lamb and Cottage Pie generally includes beef. I also researched if mushrooms were “allowed” and that was also acceptable. This recipe seems to have old roots…almost like a veggie soup…where whatever you have in the fridge/pantry, then use it! I used a mix of meats; however, use whatever ground meat you have ready to use. Use whatever veggies you have on-hand as well. Have fun with this recipe (just like meatloaf or a frittata or a soup)…!!
Potato-Free Cottage Pie (with cauliflower mash)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 pound ground bison
- 2 slices of bacon, chopped into 1/4 squares
- 3.5 ounces shiitake mushrooms (or preferred shrooms), roughly chopped
- 2 beefsteak tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoon Worcestershire
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- 4 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons ghee or organic butter
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (or preferred oil)
- 1 egg
- Sea salt and ground pepper, to taste
- In a heavy-bottomed pot filled halfway with salted water, add cauliflower and parsnips. Bring to boil and then lower heat to medium and cook until cauliflower and parsnips are fork tender (approximately 20-25 minutes.
- In a large skillet, add bacon, onion, celery, carrots, mushrooms, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, and S&P to taste…cook on medium until onions are translucent and veggies are tender.
- Add ground meat and tomato paste to the skillet.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook stovetop mixture on medium until meat is cooked. Raise to a boil and cook for 10 minutes to allow juices to boil off.
- In a baking dish (smaller if you like thicker layers or larger is you like thinner layers), using a slotted spoon, add meat mixture.
- Once cauliflower and parsnips are tender, drain and add to a mixing bowl. Add butter, avocado oil and S&P to taste. Blend until smooth.
- Spread cauliflower mixture over the meat mixture. Whisk egg in a separate bowl. Brush over the top of the cauliflower layer.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Let rest for 20 minutes. Serve.