I have eaten broccoli casserole every Thanksgiving my entire life…it’s time that this recipe received a makeover! There is no cheese in this paleo broccoli casserole recipe (unlike the original); however, I didn’t really miss it. Also, the recipe normally calls for cracker crumbs on the top layer, so instead I sprinkled a little almond meal to try to replicate the crunch. I hope you like this one!
- 5 cups fresh broccoli (about a head and a half), roughly chopped and steamed
- 1 cup paleonnaise
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 eggs
- 1/8 cup almond meal
“Condensed” Mushroom Soup:
- 1 cup chicken broth (homemade preferred)
- 8 oz button mushrooms (or mushrooms of choice), diced
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 tablespoon organic butter, unsalted
- 1 small parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon cooking Sherry
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a saucepan, add mushrooms, celery, butter, parsnip, salt, pepper and chicken stock. Heat on medium-high until parsnips are tender. Add Sherry. Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth (or use a stand blender or food processor). Set aside.
- Stir steamed broccoli, paleonnaise, eggs, mushroom blend and onion. Spoon into a greased 8 x 11.5 pan. Sprinkle with almond meal.
- Cook for 35 minutes (or until center is firm). Let cool for 30 minutes to let set.