I’ve heard people say these things more than once, “Salads are boring”…”I can’t eat salads without Ranch or Bleu Cheese”…etc. It is so frustrating. First, salad toppings are only limited by your imagination. Also, a vinaigrette doesn’t just have to be a simple vinaigrette ~ reVamp it!!
First, you need to know that there are three different factors that can be changed with a vinaigrette:
1. The type of oil: Although wonderful, olive oil is not the end all, be all. There is avocado oil, pumpkin oil, flavored olive oils, sesame oil, black truffle oil and so on.
2. The types of vinegar: Again, balsamic vinegar is yumlicious (make sure you pick a low sugar version) but there are other flavor options. One of my favorites is a fig balsamic vinegar. I also picked up a Rosemary-Infused Vinegar at my farmer’s market over the summer. There is apple cider vinegar, white wine vinegar, cabernet vinegar and more.
3. Additions to your oil and vinegar: the options are as endless as your spice rack!
Also, stick with 3 parts oil to 1 part vinegar. After that, go crazy.
With any of the following suggestions, just whisk the ingredients together before serving!
Suggestions of additions to your oil and vinegar:
1. A dollop or two of Dijon mustard
2. Dijon mustard and a little warmed raw honey
3. Fresh dill is great added when you are eating a salmon salad
4. Minced garlic
5. Sriracha/hot sauce for a kick!
6. Sesame oil, white wine vinegar, fresh ginger, garlic, a squeeze of fresh orange juice and scallions
7. Cook a piece of bacon or two…heat chopped shallots in the fat…mix with oil/vinegar and some cracked pepper
8. Add fresh horseradish and garlic when eating a steak salad
9. Add a curry spice…great over coleslaws (shredded cabbage)
10. Fresh basil is refreshing on…anything!