Meringues are a favorite treat in my house and I don’t mind making them. They guilt-free sweets are light and fluffy and basically just egg whites, some honey and whatever else you add to flavor.
Fresh Strawberry Meringue Cookies
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place strawberries and two tablespoons of honey in a saucepan over medium heat. As the strawberries heat up and soften, smoosh the berries along the side of the pan using a wooden spoon. Transfer the ingredients to a small food processor and blend. Refrigerate mixture until cool.
- Whisk eggs whites, arrowroot, and vanilla until medium peaks form. SLOWLY add the remaining honey while continuing to whisk until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in strawberry mixture.
- Place mixture in a piping tube/bag with a wide tip…or spoon into a gallon plastic bag and cut off the corner tip. Pipe mixture into mounds onto parchment paper.
- Bake for 2.5 hours. Remove from oven. Let rest for 30 minutes in the oven with the heat turned off. Peel parchment paper off the backs of the meringues. Store in an airtight container after the meringues have COMPLETELY cooled; otherwise, the heat will make the meringues sweat and “melt”.