Indulgent breakfast-in-bed for your honey on Valentine’s Day!
- 1 pound of king crab legs
- 10 eggs
- 6 pieces nitrate-free bacon
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1 tablespoon grated horseradish
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 cup chopped shiitakes
- about 30-40 spinach leaves
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons water
- 4 tablespoons organic butter or ghee
- pinch of salt
- sliced tomatoes and freshly ground pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Submerge crab legs and cook for approximately 7 minutes. Strain water and set crab legs aside to cool. Remove crab from shells. Chop into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- While crab legs are cooking, cook bacon in a skillet until almost crispy. Set aside on a paper towel-lined plate and let cool. Crumble into pieces.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, crack eggs and whisk. Add bacon, scallions, horseradish, hot sauce, capers, mushrooms, crab and salt. Stir until combined.
- Pour into a 12-inch oven-proof skillet. Place a layer of spinach leaves on the top. Press down lightly so that the egg mixture coats the tops of the leaves. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the center is set.
- Remove from oven and let cool while making your sauce.
- In a food processor, blend avocado, lemon and 1 tablespoon water. Set aside. In a double boiler, whisk egg yolks and 2 teaspoons water while cooking on medium-high. Slowly add butter until sauce starts to thicken. Whisk in avocado mixture until smooth.
- Flip frittata on a flat surface. Cut into triangles (as you would a pie). Plate a slice. Garnish with a couple of tomato slices. Drizzle some sauce and top with freshly ground black pepper. Serve with orange slices and champagne (add a few raspberries to your drink for an added garnish!).