This Salted Caramel Paleo Ice Cream was a request from a reader and it has, by far, become my most popular gluten free, dairy free ice cream!
Salted Caramel Paleo Ice Cream
- 2 tablespoon raw honey
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- 1 tablespoon organic butter or ghee
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 13.5 ounce can of coconut milk
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and seeds scraped
- 2 egg yolks
- In a small saucepan, heat caramel ingredients on low heat for 5 minutes until there is a low rolling boil around the edge of the mixture. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place coconut milk, raw honey, and vanilla beans in a medium saucepan over low heat. Whisk until everything is well-blended. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Whisk two egg yolks in a separate bowl. Temper the yolks by adding a small ladle of the ice cream mixture, stirring continuously so as to not “cook” the eggs. Add a second ladle to egg mixture. Once combined, pour this back into the saucepan and stir.
- Add the caramel mixture to the ice cream mixture. Stir until combined. Refrigerate until completely cooled.
- Follow the directions on your ice cream maker as each one may be a little different. Once your main mixture is blended (about 30 minutes), transfer to a freezing container/lidded bowl. Freeze. After 30-45 minutes, stir mixture again. I think the best stage of “paleo ice cream” is after the first 1-3 hours of freezing.