- 10-12 Bibb lettuce leaves
- 3/4 pound beef (cow) tongue
- 2 cups beef broth
- 4 garlic cloves, halved
- 1/2 large onion, roughly chopped
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil (or preferred cooking oil)
- 1/2 cup finely diced baby bella mushrooms
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 1/2 cup finely diced red pepper
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 4-5 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- sea salt and ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
Slow Cooker Ingredients:
- Scrub tongue. Place tongue, broth, garlic, onion, and sprigs of oregano in a slow cooker on low. If the broth does not completely submerge the tongue, add water. Cook overnight (approximately 8-9 hours).
- Remove tongue from broth and set aside.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, cook oil, mushrooms, shallot, and red pepper until peppers are tender. Add tomato sauce, garlic, capers, basil, oregano, and salt & pepper. Simmer.
- Cut a shallow slit lengthwise down the center of the tongue. The thick layer or the “taste bud layer” should peel right off. Discard. Cut off any gristle that may be at the back of the tongue. Discard gristle. Pull the tongue meat apart with two forks just as you would pulled pork.
- Add meat to the skillet mixture. Let cook on medium for 1-2 minutes while stirring ingredients together.
- Serve in Bibb lettuce cups. Garnish with sliced black olives.