I don’t think I’ll be putting Portillo’s out of business any time soon, but if you are in the mood for a little Italian beef and peppers, this will hopefully do the trick. Eat as is or serve in lettuce cups. Also, I think next time around, I’d probably add an onion and an additional pepper or two (it is a preference thing!!).
Slow Cooker Ingredients:
- 3.5 pound beef rump roast
- 4-5 cups of water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Herbes de Provence (or Italian seasoning)
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon organic coconut palm sugar (or preferred sweetener)
- 2 large shallots, quartered
- 5-6 garlic cloves, quartered
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil (or preferred cooking oil)
- 1 large green pepper, cut in strips
- 1 large red pepper, cut in strips
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1.5 cups beef broth
- Place the beef in a slow cooker. Add water to just cover the meat. Add remaining slow cooker ingredients.
- Cook for 8-9 hours on low. Remove beef from the slow cooker and place on a cutting board and let rest for five minutes. Remove fat layer. Using two forks pull beef apart. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, add oil and peppers. Cook on low for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add pulled meat, garlic, and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook to until liquid is absorbed (about 15 minutes).