- 13.5 ounce can of coconut milk
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup organic pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (or 1/2 tsp vanilla/1 tsp rum extract)
- 2 egg yolks
- Place coconut milk, honey, pumpkin pie spice, pumpkin puree, and vanilla extract in a medium saucepan over low heat. Whisk until blended.
- Whisk two egg yolks in a separate bowl. Temper the yolks by adding a small ladle of hot mixture, stirring continuously so as to not “cook” the eggs. Add a second ladle to egg mixture. Once combined, pour this back into the saucepan and stir everything together. Refrigerate until completely cooled.
- Follow the directions on your ice cream mixer as each one may be a little different. I put the freezing cavity in the freezer overnight and the ice cream mixture in the refrigerator overnight and then blend in the morning for about 30 minutes. Once your main mixture is blended, transfer to a freezing container/lidded bowl. Freeze. After 30-45 minutes, stir mixture again. I think the best stage of “paleo ice cream” is after the first 1-3 hours of freezing.
Optional additions…add one of these to the ice cream mixer before the last 5 minutes of taking it up:
– 1/4 cup finely diced crystallized ginger
– 1/4 cup chopped nuts of choice
– 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips