As featured in my cookbook!
- 16 oz (l pound) lobster meat (about 5 small lobster tails)
- 3 1/2 tablespoons ghee or organic butter
- 2 cups chopped leeks (approximately 2 large)
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and large diced
- 1/2 head of cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon Herbes de Provence (or Italian seasoning)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 4-6 garlic cloves, peeled and whole
- 2 tablespoons cooking Sherry
- 6-ounce can organic tomato paste
- salt to taste
- fresh thyme leaves to garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Carefully drop in lobster tails. Cook for 5 minutes. Remove tails from water. Let cool. Remove meat from shells. Set meat aside and roughly chop. Set large carcass parts/shells aside.
- In a heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven, place 2 tablespoons of butter, leeks, carrots, and celery. Heat and cook until leeks are tender.
- Add broth, water, cauliflower, Herbes de Provence, salt & pepper, bay leaf, garlic cloves, and lobster shells. Bring to a boil. Reduce and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove shells and bay leaf. Discard.
- Using an immersion blender, blend pot ingredients until smooth. (An alternative is to transfer small batches to a stand blender, and blend until smooth).
- Add approximately 3/4 of the lobster meat back to the pot along with the cooking Sherry and tomato paste. Stir until combined and simmer.
- In a small pan over medium heat, melt remaining ghee and add remaining lobster. Cook for 2 minutes until the lobster meat is coated.
- Pour bisque into bowls. Add a portion of the buttered lobster to the center of the bowls and garnish with fresh thyme leaves.