These BBQ Roo Meatballs are an ode to my Australian friends who told me to try kangaroo meat. I was skeptical at first, because I didn’t grow up eating kangaroo. But, apparantly, it is no different than Americans eating deer. It is a meat that is very prevalent, lean, and…good!
BBQ Roo Meatballs
- 1 pound ground kangaroo
- 2 slices of uncooked bacon, finely diced
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 2-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2-3 teaspoons hot sauce (Sriracha is my favorite)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix meatball ingredients until well-distributed. Form into 12 balls (golf ball sized). Place in a greased baking dish.
- Whisk sauce ingredients together. Brush 1/2 of the sauce on the meatballs. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Touch up the meatballs with remaining sauce. Cook for an additional 15 minutes.