My grandma grew up in Georgia and had a huge pecan tree in her backyard. Every Christmas she would make several different types of toasted pecans ~ spiced, sweet, salted…all were so good. This is my homage to those holiday memories.
- 2 cups pecan halves
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tablespoon coconut palm sugar crystals
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a medium saucepan, cook pecans and syrup on medium-high heat for 4 minutes, stirring occassionally.
- In a gallon plastic bag, shake cinnamon, cocoa, coconut crystals, and cayenne until mixed.
- Let pecans cool slightly (a few minutes).
- Add them to the plastic bag and shake until the pecans are coated. Pour out onto a piece of parchment paper until completely cooled. Shake in a strainer if you want to remove any excess powder (or just enjoy and then lick your cocoa fingers!).