Caribbean Seafood Chowder
Creamy Soup Base:
- 4 tablespoons organic butter or ghee
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 small parsnip, peeled and diced
- 4 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 teaspoons jerk spice
- 4 cups of chicken broth
Chowder Part of the Soup:
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 large parsnip, peeled and diced
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound calamari tubes, cut into rings
- 3/4 pound halibut, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 bunch of asparagus, hard ends cut off and cut into 1-inch sections
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon cooking Sherry
- Sea salt and ground pepper, to taste
- Crumbled bacon and some freshly ground pepper
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, place butter, celery, onion, carrot, small parsnip, jerk spice, tomatoes. Cook on medium for approximately 5 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Add chicken broth. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat. Simmer until the parsnips are fork tender. Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth. (alternative: use a stand blender to puree in batches and return to pot).
- Whisk in the coconut milk. Add the large parsnip, shrimp, calamari, halibut, asparagus, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, coconut milk, salt, and pepper.
- Cook on medium-low for about 30 minutes to really let all of the flavors blend together.
- Ladle the soup in bowls and garnish with crumbled bacon and ground pepper if desired.