“Crystalized” Ginger (make the day before):
- 2-inch knob of ginger, peeled and small diced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar + 2 tablespoons for coating
- 3/4 cup creamy unsalted almond butter
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup crystalized ginger (from attached recipe)
- 1 small ripe banana
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg
- pinch of salt
- In a medium saucepan, place ginger, water, and 1/2 cup coconut sugar. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Put in a colander and rinse with water. Place ginger bits on a paper towel. Transfer to a bowl and toss additional 2 tablespoons of coconut sugar crystals. Place in a colander and shake excess sugar off. Transfer back to your bowl and let dry uncovered overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, blend all ingredients until well-mixed.
- Roll dough into small balls, about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch diameter. If you prefer, roll these balls in a little additional coconut palm sugar.
- On a parchment paper-lined cooking sheet, place the balls of cookie dough about 1-inch apart. Using the bottom of a glass or something with a flat surface, press down on the cookie dough until the cookies are about 1/4 inch thick.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Let stand for at least 30 minutes so that the cookies can set.