My crazy friends, Alex and Kim, over at Jamaican It Paleo have challenged me to a throwdown, mon!! One of Alex’s comfort foods growing up were Jamaican Meatballs that his mom made. So, Cavegirl Flay (LOL) accepted the terms.
So, here is my Kentucky girl take on what I think “Jamaican” is…I had so a blast playing with new flavors…it probably isn’t authentic, but I sure did have fun baking outside of the box!! 😉 Scroll down to the bottom of the page to see their creation!
- 1.5 lbs ground beef
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons coconut aminos
- 4 tablespoons pecan meal (or preferred nut meal)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup minced shallot
- 3 habaneros, seeded and finely diced
- 2 tablespoons finely diced pineapple
- 1/2 cup marinara
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- chopped mint leaves, for optional garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix meatball ingredients until well-distributed. Form into 18 balls (golf ball sized, about two tablespoons each). Place in a greased baking dish.
- Whisk sauce marinara, orange juice, raw honey, and apple cider vinegar. Brush 1/2 of the sauce on the meatballs. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Touch up the meatballs with remaining sauce. Cook for an additional 15-25 minutes, until fully cooked.
- Garnish with mint.