These Simple Grilled Bison Steaks are so tasty; however, you can use this recipe with any red meat steaks that you prefer.
The key to bison steaks is to heat your grill or grilling pan on high and then cook your meat. It seals in the juices and gives you a nice crisp exterior. If you are wondering why I went so simple on these bison steaks, it is because I like my “regular” steaks the same way. I waited tables for years and it always killed me when people asked for A-1 sauce when they ordered a beautiful cut of meat. I have very few pet peeves but this is one that makes my hairs stand on end. If the meat is a good cut and is fresh, enjoy it!
Bison is a lean meat and if overcooked, it can become tough. So, if you like your red meat well-done, you may find this cut a little chewy.
Some other recipes that you may enjoy from Cavegirl Cuisine are:
Buffalo Shoulder Roast with Truffle Mashed Potatoes
Homemade Bone Marrow (or Ghee)
Simple Grilled Bison Steaks
- 2 bison steaks (about 1 pound total)
- 1 tablespoon bacon grease, duck fat, or preferred cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (plus some for later)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- In a small bowl, mix the honey, salt, pepper, and paprika until blended. Massage mixture onto both sides of the bison steaks.
- Heat bacon grease on a grilling pan.
- Place bison steaks on the pan. Season with additional salt.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes per side (depending on the thickness of the steaks), until desired doneness. I prefer to cook the steaks until they reach a 145 degree internal temperature (medium-rare). A meat thermometer is a key kitchen tool.
- Let rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice and serve with preferred sides.