Adventures in the kitchen can only be accomplished if you spread your wings and buy stuff that is “unfamiliar”. I recently stopped in at my local Asian Market and I happened upon a lot of interesting produce…one thing namely were some Shiso Leaves. I wasn’t sure what to do with them, but I threw them in my basket. As usual, I went home and Googled what the heck I had just purchased! It seems like these leaves are often used in soups; however, after reading the description of the flavor, I had to try this in a pesto.
- 10-12 Shiso leaves (approximately 1/4 cup) or mint leaves
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 1/4 cup pistachios
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- 1-2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 5 wooden skewers, soaked for 1 hour
- In a food processor or blender, add shiso leaves, parsley, pistachios, salt, garlic, coconut aminos, sesame oil, lime juice, and olive oil.
- Using half of this pesto mixture, brush on the shrimp. Refrigerate for one hour.
- Skewer 4 shrimp per stick.
- Grill/cook for 4-5 minutes per side. Brush the additional pesto per side while grilling.
- Garnish with additional parsley, optional.