- 4 slices nitrate-free bacon
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 13.5 ounce can of unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee crytals
- pinch of cinnamon
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 egg yolks
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Pour maple syrup in a bowl and coat bacon. Place bacon on a parchment paper lined baking sheet or dish. Cook for 10 minutes. Flip bacon. Cook for an additional 10 minutes. Let cool. Finely dice.
- Whisk coconut milk, honey, cocoa powder, coffee crystals, cinnamon, and pepper in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk two egg yolks in a separate bowl. Temper the yolks by adding a small ladle of hot mixture, stirring continuously so as to not “cook” the eggs. Add a second ladle to egg mixture. Once combined, pour this back into the saucepan and stir everything together. Refrigerate until completely cooled.
- Follow the directions on your ice cream mixer as each one may be a little different. I put the freezing cavity in the freezer overnight and the ice cream mixture in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes and then blend for about 30 minutes. Once your main mixture is blended, transfer to a freezing container/lidded bowl. Freeze. After 30-45 minutes, stir mixture again. I think the best stage of “paleo ice cream” is after the first 1-3 hours of freezing.
- Add the chopped maple bacon to the last 5 minutes of stirring in the ice cream maker.