This paleo Shrimp Fra Diavolo recipe is from page 208 of the The Everything Weeknight Paleo Cookbook, edited by Michelle Fagone (Cavegirl Cuisine). Copyright ©2014 by F+W Media, Inc.
Serve this spicy sauce over hot “Paleo pasta,” that is, spaghetti squash. Spaghetti sauash is an excellent substitute for pasta. When cooked in the oven for 40-50 minutes, the squash becomes soft enough to lightly separate with a fork, forming angel hair-like pasta.
Shrimp Fra Diavolo (paleo and slow cooker)
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil (or preferred cooking oil)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3-5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon minced Italian parsley (and maybe a little more for garnish)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly fround black pepper
- 1/4 pound medium-size shrimp, shelled
- Heat the oil in a nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat. Saute’ the onion, garlic, and red pepper flakes for 8-10 minutes, until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the onion mixture, tomatoes, parsley, and black pepper to a 4-quart slow cooker. Stir. Cook on low for 2-3 hours.
- Add the shrimp. Stir, cover, and cook on high for 15 minutes or until the shrimp is fully cooked.
- Note: As an alternative to the book recipe (especially if you are adding this atop spaghetti squash): At the step where you add the shrimp, you may also want to add a 1/4 cup of water, white wine, or broth.