Although this “Creamy” Roasted Tomato and Carrot Soup recipe contains no cream, the blended cauliflower gives it that silky base…and it doesn’t disappoint! I hope you enjoy it too.
Creamy Roasted Tomato and Carrot Soup
- 2 pounds of tomatoes, halved (I used a mix of Romas, Beefsteak, & Yellow Pear varieties from my garden)
- 4 carrots, peeled and quartered
- 1/2 head of cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1 large Vidalia onion (or preferred onion)
- 4-5 cloves of garlic
- avocado oil (or preferred oil), for drizzling
- sea salt and ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons ghee or organic butter
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 4 cups chicken or veggie broth
- 8-10 basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (or more if desired)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground celery seed
- 1 tablespoon cooking Sherry
- Optional garnishes: crumbled bacon and additional basil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In two baking dishes, scatter the tomatoes, carrots, cauliflower, onion, and garlic cloves. Drizzle lightly with oil. Give it a quick toss. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Set aside. While that is cooling, place butter and celery in a Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Cook for about 4 minutes. Add roasted veggies, broth, basil leaves, salt, celery seed, and Sherry. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to a simmer for 30 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender (or you can use a stand blender alternating batches of the soup), blend until smooth. Either serve immediately or let simmer covered for an additional half hour to let the flavors marry together.
- Garnish with optional bacon crumbles and basil (cut chiffonade).