Make this big green salad your own…add or delete ingredients to your liking. I also like this vinaigrette over spinach…and if you don’t like the “kick” that fresh horseradish offers, just delete it ~ the dressing is still amazing! Add shrimp, calamari, or salmon…change up the greens. This is a good base to a salad that has limitless possibilities!
Big Green Salad w/ Scallops & a Bacon-Horseradish Vinaigrette
- 5 slices of bacon (6 ounces), small diced
- 1/4 onion, small diced
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1-2 tablespoons freshly grated horseradish (depending how much kick you like)
- sea salt and ground pepper, to taste
- 12 sea scallops
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- a few handfuls of watercress
- one bunch of asparagus tips, steamed
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced
- In a cast-iron skillet or preferred skillet, place bacon over medium heat and cook until bacon is almost crispy. Remove bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Let skillet cool slightly and then pour out all but about 2 tablespoons of bacon grease. Set additional bacon grease aside.
- Add the bacon, onion, honey, vinegar, and mustard to the skillet. Whisk and cook until onions are translucent. Remove from heat. Add horseradish, salt, & pepper. Whisk. Set aside.
- In a skillet, add a little of the reserved bacon grease and heat on medium. Add scallops (not touching each other ~ give them plenty of room so they don’t steam each other). Cook for 2 minutes. Depending on the thickness of the scallops, flip and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Plate veggies on 3 plates. Add scallops. Spoon warm bacon vinaigrette over the three plates. Grate additional grated horseradish, if desired.