This Roasted Veggie Soup is chock-full of nutition and flavor. The earthiness of all the veggies in this dish is pulled together by the salty-yummy bacon!
Creamy Roasted Veggie Soup with Bacon
- 8 ounces whole white mushrooms
- 1 small head of broccoli, chopped
- 1 large turnip, peeled and large diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 5-6 chunks per carrot
- 1 poblano pepper, ends chopped and seeded
- 2 tablespoons preferred oil
- salt and pepper
- 8 slices of nitrate-free bacon
- 3 tablespoons ghee or organic butter
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon cooking Sherry
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. On a baking sheet, place mushrooms, broccoli, turnip, carrots, and poblano pepper. Drizzle oil over veggies. With hands, toss gently to distribute oil. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 30 minutes.
- In a Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot, place 4 slices of chopped uncooked bacon, ghee, onion, and celery. Heat over medium for about 5-7 minutes until onions are translucent. Add broth, Italian seasoning, and Sherry. Cover and simmer.
- Add the veggies from the oven to your pot. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender (or in batches in stand mixer), blend until creamy. Because veggies vary in size, if your soup is too thick add a little water or broth until desired consistency.
- Taste. Add salt and pepper as necessary.
- Bake additional bacon slices and crumble for garnish.