Growing up, leftover turkey was assigned to white bread, mayo, and iceburg lettuce. Then I turned paleo…now what? Although turkey meat is nice and clean and yummy, sometimes you just want something different!
Although Shepherd’s Pie traditionally uses ground lamb and white potatoes, I thought I’d try my own holiday version ~ leftover turky and sweet potatoes!
Leftover Turkey Shepherd’s Pie
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and large diced
- 3 tablespoons ghee or organic butter
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 cup diced onion (approximately 1 small onion)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 ounce jar of sliced pimientos, drained
- 3 cups diced cooked turkey
- 1/2 cup organic tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper (or a few grinds on the pepper mill)
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha or hot sauce of choice
- 1/3 cup turkey broth (plus a little extra if needed), or broth of choice
- sea salt and ground pepper, for taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Place diced sweet potatoes in the pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and let cook until potatoes are fork tender.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet on high-heat, cook the ghee, mushroms, carrots, celery, and onion until onions are translucent and celery starts to become tender.
- Add turkey, tomato sauce, celery seed, salt, pepper, Sriracha, and broth. Stir and heat for an additional 5 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Add mixture to an 8×8 baking dish.
- In a mixer, add sweet potatoes, broth and salt and pepper. Add additional broth (one tablespoon at a time) to the sweet potatoe mixture until smooth. Season as necessary. (I season my homemade turkey broth when I make it, so it is already very seasoned). Taste your mixture as you make it to make sure it is as you like it.
- Spread the sweet potato mixture over the turkey mixture. Make sure that it extends to all edges of the baking dish as to seal in the turkey mixture.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand for 30 minutes. Serve immediately.