This Spicy Thai Lobster Soup, Lobster Tom Kha, is a traditional soup with a little Cavegirl thrown in…I hope you enjoy! So, I’m hoping you like my version…I think it really has some depth of flavor ~ my family and I certainly enjoyed it!!
Also, if you don’t have lobster on hand, shrimp are a super-yummy substitute!
Spicy Thai Lobster Soup, Lobster Tom Kha
- 3 tablespoons ghee or organic butter
- 5-6 scallions, tops and bottoms divided, sliced
- 5 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or broth of choice)
- 4 small lobster tails (about 1.5 cups of cooked meat)
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 2 tablespoons minced lemongrass (the soft inner layer)
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha (or preferred hot sauce)
- 1/4 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 1 tablespoon cooking Sherry
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 bunch of cilantro minus the stems, one handful + extra for garnish
- In a Dutch Oven or heavy bottomed pot, heat ghee, bottoms of scallions, mushrooms, and garlic until scallions are translucent.
- Add broth. Add lobster tails. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until tail shells just turn red.
- Scoop out lobster and set aside.
- Cut lobster tails down the center and scoop out undercooked lobster meat. Set lobster meat aside. Place the large lobster shell portions back into the broth. Bring to boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook covered for 30 minutes.
- Remove lobster shells from broth and discard. Whisk in coconut aminos, lime zest, red curry paste, lemongrass, Sriracha, and ginger. Heat for 10 minutes.
- Add Sherry, coconut milk, chopped tops of scallions, and a handful of cilantro. Whisk together and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Add lobster meat. Continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately. Garnish with additional cilantro.
Find this recipe and many others in Ladle: paleo and gluten-free comfort soups: