My “Cavegirl’s Kickasserole” dish was my Best.Present.Ever.!! (thanks mom!) This had to be one of my favorite gifts this year, but I had to admit that the name alone put great pressure on figuring out what to cook in it!
I finally decided to do a Paleo Breakfast Casserole. I have made one before but I added organic heavy cream. Because of some dietary restrictions, I really wanted to play around with coconut milk. The problem with coconut milk in my house is that my youngest daughter hates the taste and can detect it immediately, so I have to be really cautious to season things just right to mask the flavor. (She never even knew with this one…SCORE!).
Instead of adding coconut milk to my eggs and calling it a day, I also blended in an avocado and spices to add more creaminess and depth of flavor…I hope you enjoy this recipe!
- 1 pound of thick bacon, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 small bell pepper (color of choice), seeded and chopped
- 2 cups chopped greens of choice (kale, collards, turnip greens, chard, spinach)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup canned coconut milk (use the solid at the top of the can)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 9 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha (or hot sauce of choice)
- sea salt and ground pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until almost crispy. Remove bacon cubes to a paper towel-lined plate. Discard all but 1 tablespoon of bacon grease from skillet. Add onion, mushrooms, bell pepper, greens, and carrots. Add a little salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat until onions are translucent. Add drained tomatoes. Stir and taste. Add additional salt and pepper if necessary. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a stand mixer or blender, whisk/blend coconut milk, avocado, eggs, mustard, Italian seasoning, and Sriracha. Add a dash or two of salt. Blend until slightly frothy and mixed.
- In a greased large baking dish, spread skillet ingredients to an even layer. Pour egg mixture over veggie layer.
- Cook for approximately 40 minutes until the center is firm. Remove from oven and let sit for at least 20 minutes.