The spices pop in this simple taco salad and the beef and guac make it so that no dressing is needed. Also, I added some slivered almonds to substitute the crunch of tortillas that traditional taco salads have.
The nopalitos in this dish add great acidity and balance. Note: When they come straight out of the jar, nopalitos are sliced long. My girls won’t eat them this way ~ it’s a visual thing. But, when I dice them up, they love them!
Simple Taco Salad (paleo & gluten-free)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons taco spice
- homemade guacamole
- 4 handfuls of fresh spinach leaves (or preferred greens)
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 jalapeños, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup diced nopalitos
- 4 tablespoons slivered almonds
- chopped cilantro leaves, for garnish
- 1 lime, quartered
- In a cast iron skillet, heat ground beef, onion, taco spice, and 2 tablespoons of water. Cook until ground beef is cooked.
- Mix guacamole ingredients while beef mixture is cooking.
- Divide ingredients on four separate plates. Give each a quick squeeze of lime before serving.