My hubby was afraid when he first saw these “Grapefruit Marinated Acorn Squash with Roasted Hazelnuts” on his dinner plate…squash scares him for some reason (he’s cute, but weird!). However, after eating this, he said, “Hey, those were good!”…I’ll take that as a glowing recommendation!
The idea for this recipe came very organically (pun?). After I received my Farmbox Direct box, I was down to a grapefruit and an acorn squash. So, why not?! Let’s see what these two items taste like. It was great…most dishes need a little citrus and this seemed to kill some of the “squashy” taste and everything really came together.
Grapefruit Marinated Acorn Squash with Roasted Hazelnuts
- Prepare your acorn squash. Cut the top stem of the acorn squash off. Put this flat edge on the cutting board. Slice in half lengthwise. Scoop out the middle and discard. Lay each half lengthwise on the cutting board and slice your half moons about 1/4-inch thick. Set aside.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together grapefruit juice, oil, maple syrup, nutmeg, and cayenne pepper. Place squash slices in this dish. Shake it gently to make sure the marinade coats all of the squash. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour. (If you are running the kids around and you can’t get back for a couple of hours, who cares…it is still good!).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place half slices on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet (save marinade). Scatter hazelnuts over the squash. Sprinkle with sea salt. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Flip squash, brush on a layer of the reserved marinade. Bake for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from oven.