Out of the “game” meats that I’ve tried, this “Simple Baked Rabbit in the Oven” is probably the least gamey of them…it has a very mild flavor. If cooked to the proper temperature (not overcooked to become dry), rabbit is a very moist and tender dinner option! The following recipe is just the basics ~ I wanted something easy, but in the future I would like to try a honey mustard glaze or a quick BBQ sauce to slather on before cooking.
Simple Baked Rabbit in the Oven
- 3 pound rabbit, gutted and cleaned
- 1-2 tablespoons of avocado oil (or preferred oil)
- sea salt and ground pepper
- 1 tangerine, clementine, or mandarine orange (quartered)
- 1 small apple, quartered
- 1 medium onion, cut into chunks
- 4-6 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup of water
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Drizzle the oil over rabbit, inside and out. Give the meat a little rubdown. Season with salt and pepper, inside and out.
- Set rabbit in a shallow baking dish. Stuff the cavity with the tangerine and apple quarters. Scatter onion and garlic around the rabbit. Pour the water in the dish. Create a “steaming tent” with aluminum foil over the dish sealing around the edges.
- Bake 25 minutes. Turn the rabbit, baste, and re-cover. Cook for an additional 25 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue to bake uncovered until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F (about another 15-20 minutes). Let rest for 10 minutes.