This idea recently came to me while I was doing research about nuts and seeds for a smoothie book. Honestly, I have always just used my nuts and seeds straight out of the pack; however, it seems that a lot of folks are soaking theirs! Phytic acid and tannins, among others, are reduced or even eliminated during the soaking process. So, I thought…why not soak them in something flavored, like tea?! It is not an overwhelming flavor but the hint of the chai in the following recipe is nice…a little different from my other cereals.
- Place tea bags and 2 teaspoons sea salt in boiling water in a small saucepan. Remove from heat and let steep until tea is room temperature. Remove tea bags.
- Transfer tea to a lidded container. Add sunflower seeds, walnuts, and pecans. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Strain, double-rinse, and discard tea and let seeds and nuts dry.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add remaining ingredients to the nuts and seeds and stir until the honey is well-distributed.
- Spread mixture in a large, greased baking dish. Bake for 10 minutes. Stir. Bake for 10 minutes. Stir. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven. Your batch of cereal should be browned and a little crispy. If your nuts/seeds weren’t quite dry and the mixture is still a little “wet”, cook until desired texture.
- Once completely cooled, store in an airtight container.
- When serving, you may want to add some dark chocolate chips/chunks before serving with coconut milk or unsweetened almond milk (Stupid Easy Paleo shows you how to make homemade almond milk HERE.)