It amazes me that another beautiful paleo/grain-free cookbook has knocked my socks off…but it has happened. If for no other reason, this CRUNCH CINNAMON TOAST SQUARES recipe ~ genious! Brought to you from page 18 of All-American Paleo Table.
My youngest daughter, who hates anything coconut (yep, that’s what I’m dealing with), asked if this cereal had anything coconut in it. I said (lying), “absolutely not, babe!”, forgetting (ahem), that there is coconut oil and coconut flour in the recipe. She tried it and loved it and was so pleased that there was nothing coconut in it. (phew!)
All-American Paleo Table is just a beautiful interpretation of what is on most of our tables with simple recipes and very clean ingredients. The pictures per recipe are colorful and gorgeous. Caroline Potter of Colorful Eats has done a supremely beautiful job ~ from front cover to end ~ it is a delectable journey!
Cavegirl Tip: I would suggest cutting these immediately after coming out of the oven. If you wait for them the cereal to cool, it will harden and snap if you try to cut it when cooled.
Crunchy Cinnamon Toast Squares (from All-American Paleo Table)
- 1/2 cup creamy sunflower seed butter
- 3 tablespoons maple sugar
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (melted and cooled)
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot flour
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Maple Cinnamon Sprinkles:
- 1 tablespoon maple sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Arrange the oven rack to the middle position.
- Use a hand mixer to mix all the cereal ingredients together until a smooth and slightly thick ball of batter forms. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and briefly blend again.
- Place the batter on the parchment paper, using a spatula to smooth out into a very thin shape about 12 by 10 inches. You want to spread this out as thin as possible without creating any holes. Be patient because this process is key to the texture.
- Mix together the maple cinnamon sprinkle ingredients and sprinkle on top of the cereal dough.
- Bake for 48-50 minutes, watching carefully at the end so that it does not burn, but keep in mind that the ceral hardens once cool. Remove from the oven and cool completely, allowing the cereal to crisp. Once it is cool, break into small, bite-size pieces.
- Serve with yogurt or milk of choice, or even by the handful.