Mushroom Bacon Sage Dressing (using LEGIT Bread)
- LEGIT Bread Recipe + 1 teaspoon ground black pepper and 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage (about 5-6 leaves)
- 10 ounces bacon, diced
- 1 1/3 cups chopped mushrooms (I used bellas and shiitakes)
- 2 small yellow onions, diced
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 4 sage leaves, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 large eggs
- Before baking your LEGIT bread, add the ground pepper and chopped fresh sage to the mixture. Let cool. Cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Place in a large bowl.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until almost crisp. You want to render the fat, but not allow the bacon to become crispy. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In the same skillet that you cooked the bacon, remove all but about 1 tablespoon of bacon fat. Add mushrooms, onions, and white balsamic vinegar. Cook over medium heat until the onions are translucent and the mushrooms are tender.
- Add bacon to the bread. Strain mushroom mixture and then add to the bread mixture.
- To the mixture, toss salt, celery, parsley, thyme, and sage. In a separate bowl, whisk together broth and eggs. Add to bread mixture. Toss until well-blended.
- Pour tossed ingredients into a lightly greased 9.5 x 13.5 baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes.