These Hawaiian Sweet and Sour Meatballs are perfect for dinner or lunch served over rice, riced cauliflower, or even some spiraled steamed veggie noodles!
Some other Cavegirl Cuisine recipes that you may enjoy:
Five Spice Flank Steak with Shiitakes, Peppers, and Onions
Asian Grilled Chicken Tenders
Asian Lamb Chops with Steamed Bok Choy
Hawaiian Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/2 pound ground bison or beef
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon whole grain Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha, or preferred hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon homemade mayo or a high-quality mayo
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 8-ounce can crushed pineapple
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 20-ounce can pineapple chunks in pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon ghee or preferred cooking oil
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and large chopped
- 1 bunch of green onions, cleaned and sliced
- 1 tablespoon cassava flour
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine pork, bison, egg, mustared, Sriracha, mayo, salt, and Italian seasoning. Mix together until well-blended. For into 30 meatballs (about the size of ping pong balls). Place meatballs on a parchment paper lined baking dish. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven.
- While the meatballs are cooking, blend the crushed pineapple, coconut aminos, maple syrup, and juice from the 20-ounce can of pineapple. Pour mixture in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, add cassava flour, and let simmer 20 minutes until thickened.
- In a large skillet, heat ghee over medium heat. Add pineapple chunks, bell pepper, and green onions (reserving some of the green tops for garnish). Heat for a few minutes until onions become tender. Add sauce and meatballs to the skillet. Spoon sauce over the meatballs. Heat over medium for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve as-is or over rice, riced cauliflower, or even some spiraled steamed veggie noodles.