This Gingerbread Apple Crisp will have your holiday guests begging for more. You can make the gingerbread spice ahead of time by following my recipe HERE. Also, serve this dish warm and à la mode for the ultimate experience!
Gingerbread Apple Crisp
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 4 cups thinly sliced apples, cored and peeled (a variety works best)
- 1 tablespoon gingerbread spice (make your own HERE)
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 up sliced almonds
- 1/3 cup roasted, unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup chopped dates, pitted
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon gingerbread spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter or ghee, small-cubed
- To ensure thin and uniform apple slices, I cored and peeled my apples and then used my spiralizer to achieve this.
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a 9-inch pie plate.
- Place orange juice in a medium bowl. After each apple is sliced, toss in the juice to avoid browning.
- Toss in gingerbread spice and a pinch of salt until well-coated. Spoon into pie plate.
- Wipe out bowl and combine almonds, sunflower seeds, dates, maple syrup, coconut flakes, orange zest, gingerbread spice, and salt. Spoon mixture over apples in an even layer. Dot the top with butter cubes.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream if desired.