So, December 29 is National Pepper Pot Day. What the hell is that?! So, I did a little digging. There are soooo many versions–> Caribbean, Philadelphia, Guyana…and so forth!
Bascially, there are peppers. After that, it compares pretty much to a beef stew. So, I decided to view several recipes and make my own Cavegirl version. By the way, this was amazing in taste and depth of flavor! It looks like there are a million ingredients, but most can be found in your pantry! Also, there are many recipes that call for a honeycomb…I have made a nod to this by drizzling a little honey over the top of a bowl before serving.
Where you can make substitutions:
1. Parsnips: you can sub potatoes, sweet potatoes, turnips, or whatever tuber your heart desires.
2. Collard greens: It is near New Year’s, so I decided to add collards for their Southern luck, but don’t be afraid to use kale, spinach, turnip greens, or whatever greens you choose!
3. Cassava flour: Use arrowroot, coconut flour, or whatever flour works with your diet. This just helps thicken the base.
4. Habanero: My grocer was out of these peppers, so I chose a jalapeno. It is a milder pepper, so if this works for your taste buds, use it. If you like spicier meals, chop 2 or 3…or use a habanero!
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (or preferred oil)
- 1.5 lbs beef stew meat, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 large parsnip, peeled and diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 habanero or scotch bonnet pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon cassava flour
- 4 cups chopped collards, stems removed and cleaned
- 1 small handful chopped cilantro, more for fresh garnish
- 4 teaspoons raw honey
- In a Dutch Oven or heavy pot, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Add beef cubes. Sear on all sides for about 5 minutes. Remove from pot and set aside.
- To pot, add additional tablespoon of oil, onion, carrot, parsnip, bell peppers, and habanero. Toss for another 5 minutes until veggies become tender. Stir in salt, smoked paprika, garlic powder, white pepper, cumin, celery seed, and cinnamon.
- Add broth and scrape any bits from the bottom and sides of the pot. Whisk in coconut milk, tomato paste, and cassava flour.
- Stir in collards, cilantro, and beef. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer lidded for 30 minutes.
- Distribute into bowls and drizzle with honey. Add additional fresh cilantro, if desired.