Oooh ~ how I love raw oysters! I worked at Rhinehart’s Oyster Bar in my early twenties while finishing out my undergrad degree in Augusta, Georgia. These were the best times of my life. If you ever go through this town, stop in ~ it is the perfect hole-in-the-wall with the best food, regulars, and staff!
By the way, if you don’t have an oyster knife and glove at your disposal, ask your fishmonger to shuck these babies for you. They do it for free ~ just ask!
Raw Oysters with Champagne and Shallot Granita
- 2 tablespoons finely diced shallots
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 tablespoons champagne
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground fresh pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon golden balsamic vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2 dozen raw oysters, shucked
- Sriracha, for garnish
- fresh thyme leaves, for garnish
- Combine shallots, honey, champagne, salt, pepper, and vinegar and place in a shallow dish. Freeze. Using a fork, scrape frozen mixture after 2 hours. Scrape again after 30 minutes. Scrape again after 30 minutes. Scrape again after 30 minutes. You are eventually looking for a sorbet consistency.
- Place oysters on a serving tray. Place about 1/2 teaspoon of granita on each oyster. Garnish with a squirt or two of Sriracha and fresh thyme leaves.