From the pages of my latest cookbook, I Love My Instant Pot, these Carnitas Lettuce Wraps a hit! When you think of cooking a pork shoulder, you probably think about cooking it low and
slow for 6–8 hours. With the Instant Pot (this one is the model I have), the same result can be achieved in significantly reduced time. Enjoy this succulent meat topped with fresh jalapeño, radishes, avocado,
and tomatoes . . . all wrapped neatly in a fresh lettuce leaf!
Instant Pot Carnitas Lettuce Wraps
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 (3-pound) pork shoulder or butt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 cups water
- 1 head butter lettuce, washed and dried
- 1 small jalapeño, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup julienned radishes
- 1 medium avocado, diced
- 2 small Roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- In a small bowl, combine cocoa powder, salt, cayenne pepper, oregano, white pepper, garlic powder, onion salt, cumin, and coriander. Massage seasoning into pork shoulder and refrigerate covered overnight.
- Press the Sauté button on the Instant Pot. Add 2 tablespoons oil. Sear roast on all sides ensuring all sides are browned, about 8–10 minutes. Add enough water (2–3 cups) to almost cover the meat. Lock lid.
- Press the Manual button and adjust time to 45 minutes. When timer beeps, let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes. Quick-release any additional pressure until float valve drops and then unlock lid.
- Transfer pork to a platter. Using two forks, shred the meat. Discard all but 1⁄2 cup of cooking liquid. Add meat back into Instant Pot. Press the Sauté button and stir-fry meat
for 4–5 minutes creating some crispy edges. Toss with additional liquid.