From the pages of my latest cookbook, I Love My Instant Pot, these Carnitas Lettuce Wraps a hit! When you think of cooking a pork shoulder, you probably think about cooking it low and
slow for 6–8 hours. With the Instant Pot, the same result can be achieved in significantly
reduced time. Enjoy this succulent meat topped with fresh jalapeño, radishes, avocado,
and tomatoes . . . all wrapped neatly in a fresh lettuce leaf!
Instant Pot Carnitas Lettuce Wraps
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 (3-pound) pork shoulder or butt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 cups water
- 1 head butter lettuce, washed and dried
- 1 small jalapeño, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup julienned radishes
- 1 medium avocado, diced
- 2 small Roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- In a small bowl, combine cocoa powder, salt, cayenne pepper, oregano, white pepper, garlic powder, onion salt, cumin, and coriander. Massage seasoning into pork shoulder and refrigerate covered overnight.
- Press the Sauté button on the Instant Pot. Add 2 tablespoons oil. Sear roast on all sides ensuring all sides are browned, about 8–10 minutes. Add enough water (2–3 cups) to almost cover the meat. Lock lid.
- Press the Manual button and adjust time to 45 minutes. When timer beeps, let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes. Quick-release any additional pressure until float valve drops and then unlock lid.
- Transfer pork to a platter. Using two forks, shred the meat. Discard all but 1⁄2 cup of cooking liquid. Add meat back into Instant Pot. Press the Sauté button and stir-fry meat
for 4–5 minutes creating some crispy edges. Toss with additional liquid.